About Port Matilda
A small town located just 10 minutes northwest of State College, Port Matilda has a total area of 0.6 square miles and a population just over 600 people. After being laid out in 1850 by Squire Clement Beckwith, the town was named in honor of 'Matilda', his eldest daughter. Where the 'Port' came from has been a source of much argument, some believe it may have stemmed from his hope that the town would be connected to the Bald Eagle and Spring Creek Branch of the Pennsylvania canal. Unfortunately, the canal did not reach Port Matilda, but the Bald Eagle Railroad did and the community became a center for agricultural and lumber products in the Bald Eagle Valley.
Running through the borough are US Route 322, 220, and Interstate 99, making other areas easily accessible. A few local favorites include the Port Matilda Hotel and Tavern, popular for their wings, and Lykens Market, with an assortment of subs, sandwiches, and other treats!
No listings found. Please search our latest listings.